Instagram can have real impact on growing awareness for your independently owned optometry practice in your community.
It’s primarily a visual medium where you can tell your independent brand story through images and videos, and it’s a very popular daily destination for many Americans. New places and brands are discovered by consumers every day on Instagram! That said, like all social media, there is a lot of competition for attention on the platform, so here are some tips to help you stand out, get noticed and attract people to your optometry practice for your stylish eyewear and comprehensive eye care.
Business Page Setup
- Use your optometry practice logo as your profile photo. Be consistent with your profile photos (use your optometry practice logo) across all online platforms – Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, your website - for branding.
- Use the same name for your account name and username.
- Create photo collections at the top of your Instagram board by category for your followers and page visitors. Sunglasses, Metal, Plastic, Doctor – these are ways to call out specific items of content for people who want to zero in on that information.
- Be strategic with hashtags – go smaller. #eyewear has nearly 5 million items in the collection, whereas #eyewearstore has nearly 42,000 items in the collection at the time this article was written. Using only overcrowded hashtags may mean your content will disappear.
- Vary your content. Your look and feel should be consistent; however, changing up the images keeps your content and your board interesting to followers. Try taking a close shot of frames for one post, then a street scene in your community the next.
- Your content needs to make sense when seen one post at a time and then in context with other posts on your board, so be mindful of how a post will look on the board when you share a photo or video.
- Use quotes or sayings on some of your posts to create a feeling and a mood for your board in addition to the photos of eyewear.
- Consider promoting other independently owned businesses in your community by sharing photos of their product or locations with your followers and be sure to tag them. You can start a cross-promotional relationship with other area business owners on Instagram by simply giving them some attention on your board with your followers.
- Tie in images of your community for powerful local branding.
Be sure to embed the link to your Instagram account on your website and in email to patients. Website visitors may check out your Instagram to get a sense of your optical style and overall vibe, especially if they have eyewear in mind when booking an appointment, so time spent on your Instagram can translate into higher capture rates and more appointments booked at your optometry practice.